What are my options for private housing?

Our Answer: 

There are many different options for housing in the private sector. The most common is to live in a shared flat or house with other students or young professionals. Each person usually has their own room with shared use of the kitchen and bathroom facilities. Contracts are often for a year and bills are not usually included in the rent.

 Some student will also live with a resident landlord, which is where you rent a room in the landlord’s home. This can sometimes be a cost effective way of living in central locations and contracts can be more flexible. Bills are also sometimes included in the rent.

 As well as University halls of residence there are also private halls of residence. Private halls are mostly self-catered and you will rent your own room, and they’re a good way of meeting students from other Colleges. Contracts are usually for 51 weeks and the cost of these halls tends to be higher than for shared flats and houses or for residences managed by your University.