Your Welfare & Safety

Pastoral care

Senior Members are trained to offer front line pastoral support. More complicated matters are referred to the PMU.

External Mental Health Organisations


‘Talk to us any time you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal’. ‘If you're given the time and space to talk things through, you can find a way through your problems’. ‘Samaritans help you to explore your options so you can make decisions that are right for you’.

Central London branch telephone: 020 7734 2800
National telephone: 08457 909 090
Email: Samaritans:

Visit the central London branch: 46 Marshall Street W1F 9BF (usual hours open to receive callers at the door: 09.00 to 21.00 every day of the year)


‘We are a confidential listening, support and practical information service for students in London and Open University. You can talk to us about anything – big or small – in complete confidence. We won’t judge you or tell you how to run your life: we’ll simply listen to whatever is on your mind’.
‘All our volunteers are students themselves, who have undergone extensive training and who understand that university life isn’t always plain sailing’.

“We are open from 18:00 to 08:00 every night of term”.

Phone: 020 7631 0101
Skype Phone: londonnightline
Skype Chat: chat.nightline
Text: 07717 989 900

3.  FRANK  

FRANK is an ‘independent government funded’ organization offering ‘friendly, confidential drugs advice’.

GP and how to register

It is a condition of residence that all students register with a local general practitioner. You must confirm registration by completing the ‘Medical Registration Form’, which is issued on arrival, and returning it to reception within three (3) weeks of arrival.

Some Colleges also operate their own health service:

  • UCL: University Health Centre; 020 7387 6306 (telephone).
  • LSE: Health Service; 020 7955 7016 (telephone).

Other Colleges are affiliated to the Central Institutions Health Service (CIHS) at 020 7636 7628. 

KCL students can register at the CIHS or at one of the three KCL Health Centres. Contact the KCL for further details.

This advice is based on national guidance from Universities UK, published in response to rising cases of meningitis amongst students in halls of residence. Students who do not register with a local doctor during their stay in London often encounter problems and delays in obtaining treatment.

Medical Emergencies

In a case of emergency, a Senior Member is contactable 24 hours a day. You may approach them for assistance with any urgent problems.

You should call your doctor (GP) directly in the case of a non-emergency.  If you need medical advice but it is not life threatening, you can also call the NHS 111 line. NHS 111 is a trustworthy non-emergency telephone advice service. Dialing 111 you can get advice on medical problems, whether you can treat yourself, or if you should visit your GP or go to hospital. The website has further information and advice. 

In the case of a medical emergency, you should dial 999 (mobile) or 9-999 from your room’s handset (where applicable).

You must tell the Senior Members if you are admitted to hospital for more than 24 hours.

First Aid 

We recommend that you keep your own first aid equipment (e.g. plasters and bandages) and medicines, as the Clandon House’s first aid kit may only be used by our first aiders. If you need access to first aid equipment and do not have your own, please ask to speak to a Senior Member (outside of office hours) or a member of the PMU Team (during office hours), who may be able to assist. Although it is frustrating, for legal reasons even the Clandon House’s first aiders are unable to give out medication of any kind (including paracetamol), and so no medication is kept in first aid kits. 

Fire Safety

Every study bedroom and all communal areas are equipped with smoke detectors. These provide excellent safety cover but can also cause false alarms. Aerosols, steam, talcum are all things which can set off a fire alert and cause Clandon House to be evacuated unnecessarily so we ask that you take care to avoid setting off an alarm unnecessarily.

Fire drills and sounder tests

Please acquaint yourself with the fire alarm procedure. Ensure that you know the locations of your nearest fire exits, fire extinguishers, and alarm call points. Whenever you hear the fire alarm, you must evacuate the building immediately and go to assembly point, located in front of the building. 

Fire drills will be held during the year and all rooms will be checked by a member of staff to ensure everyone has evacuated. You are expected to leave as quickly as possible by the nearest route, which may not necessarily down the main stairs and out through the main door, so please familiarise yourself with alternative escape routes. If the response is too slow, further fire drills will follow within a few days. 

The fire alarm system at Clandon House is tested every Thursday between 1pm and 3pm. The sounders will go off for a short time. There is no need to evacuate at this time unless the sounders continue for more than 30 seconds.